Thursday, December 12, 2019

NWA Powerrr - Episode 2

This review will be much shorter because I established the NWA Powerrr format and set up in the last post. Episode 2 only had 4 matches, compared to the 1st.

The episode started with Aaron Stevens (Damien Sandow) being interviewed. It was pretty entertaining and the man has great comedic chops. I really like his wrestler turned actor gimmick. It's been done many times, but Stevens is phenomenal.

The opening match was Trevor Murdoch, a real hoss, taking on up and coming NWA talent, Ricky Starks. I hadn't seen Starks wrestle before, but I like the showing he made. Once again I was distracted by Jim Cornette taking time to bash modern wrestling. This time would have been been spent actually calling the match, rather than talking about how NWA was for real beer drinking men. The outcome of the match surprised me, though the boos that Starks received didn't. He was a smaller and wrestling with some flash and style, which doesn't seem like the type to get over with a modern NWA crowd.

Starks post match interview was cool. I liked that Murdoch shook his hand. I also like the kid's style. He did a lot of rhyming, talked about God blessing him, but did it in a real narcissistic way.

Another segment that followed this and continued throughout the episode was Joe Galli discussing how Aldis reacted to Galli's question about Kamille. In the introduction to his interview he used the words "fair and balanced," which brought images of Fox News and had me rolling my eyes. This whole plot gave the episode it's name, Clickbait.

Galli then interviewed comedic wrestling star Colt Cobana and his mystery tag partner, Mr. Anderson (Ken Kennedy). The pair then took on Sal Rinauro and Jordan Kingsley. Cobana and Anderson put on a very entertaining match. This was another squash match (Rinauro's second in Powerrr).

I laughed at the retro comedic commercial for Tony Falks Waffles and Tire Irons.

I got my first taste of women's wrestling in NWA. Champion Allysin Kay took on Ashley Vox in a non-title match. Both competitors showed some nice athleticism. I liked Allysin Kay's physicality tossing around the smaller Fox. To her credit, Fox did a really nice job with some quick moves. My only critique of the match is that I didn't like how Kay sold some of her opponents moves earlier, but that's just personal taste.

James Storm cut a quick promo about his goals in taking the 10 Pounds of Gold. I liked his redneck promo. It focused on how he's a real man and the others being boys, but it really works with his character.

We got to see another Austin Idol Universe Wrestling College Commercial, which was silly, but fun.

The Wild Cards returned to take on Outlaw Inc. in the final match on the card. Once again they impressed me. Their opponents for the match were Eddie Kingston and Homicide (one of the founders of the LAX stable).  I really liked the brawlers from NYC. Kingston and Homicide were two tough cats. Cornette kept making jokes about Homicide's neighborhood and it was like a really bad comedy act. My eyes rolled into the back of my head. This match was for the tag time titles, but it went to a no contest as the Dawsons (the to southern hosses from episode one) came out and attacked everyone.

After the match they continued the Aldis and Galli. Kamille didn't speak and Aldis got angry when Galli pressured her about it. I don't understand this story or the appeal of it. I hope it gets better as the episodes continue.

Overall this was another enjoyable episode. I think the matches were solid and there are some charismatic stars in the promotion. Again, my disdain for Cornette taints my opinion of the show a bit, but I know that he resigned, so I just have to finish this season and then Stu Bennett (aka Wade Barrett) replaces him on the announce team.

Check out NWA Power Episode 2 for yourself:

No comments:

Post a Comment